For Canadian companies who send Canadians to work abroad, we can provide Medical, Dental & Vision plans to 1 or more employees and all-inclusive packages for groups with 3 or more expatriates. Includes war risk coverage. No medical underwriting and no pre-existing condition exclusions.
Find the answers to some of our frequently asked questions below. Just because it’s not here doesn’t mean it’s not a common question – if there’s something missing, just let us know!
Does Benefits by Design (BBD) have a benefits solution for my client who has Canadian Employees working abroad?
Yes, as long as the benefit plan includes at least $100 in insured monthly premium, we offer these stand-alone products (underwriting review may be required):
- Extended Health Coverage (EHC)
- Dental (*available for groups with 10+ participating)
- Critical Illness (CI)
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
- Diagnostic Specialist Access Insurance (DSAI)
- Expatriate Insurance
We also offer stand-alone coverage for Health Care Spending Accounts (HCSA), Wellness Spending Accounts (WSA) and Flexible Spending Accounts under our Standalone® product line. These products require no pre-funding.
Yes, BBD requires a security deposit equal to two months of anticipated claims as well administration fees and applicable taxes (three months is required if the plan is not on pre-authorized payments). This deposit is fully refunded if the HCSA arrangement is discontinued, and is not applied to the first months HCSA claims paid.
How does BBD’s stop loss work?
- Our standard stop loss limit is $10,000 per individual;
- Health claims in excess of $10,000 are removed from claims experience when we establish renewal rates;
- Stop loss applies to in-country claims and all out-of-country claims are pooled from 1st dollar;
- Stop loss levels don’t change based on the number of insured lives;
- Stop loss covers all health expenses;
- Pre-existing conditions don’t affect stop loss coverage.
Employees must work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
BBD has a partnership with NFP Corporate Services. For Canadian companies who want to provide benefits to their US employees/affiliates, NFP can help you out! This large US brokerage is licensed to do business in all the United States and will work with you to customize and administer the US benefits plan.
In order to be eligible for group benefit coverage, groups must have been in business for a minimum of 1 year.
Groups with more than 50% of employees from the same family may be subject to medical underwriting.
- 3-9 employees: 100% participation (for non-contributory or compulsory plans.)
- 10+ employees: At least 75% participation of eligible employees is required (for contributory plans.)
We have a hard-working New Business team dedicated to providing you with quality, competitive quotes. Give us 5 business days, and it’s yours.
We require at least $100 of insured monthly premium.
We’re proud to support small Canadian business. Our plans do require a minimum of three* (3) employees insured for all quoted benefits. It’s group insurance, after all! (It’s okay if someone waives health and dental coverage – we’ll insure as few as two (2) lives for these benefits.)